Saturday, October 11, 2008

To Stay or Not To Stay

It seems like we JUST moved to Hong Kong, and we are already having to think about whether or not to sign a new contract. Officially we won't be offered a contract for another month or so. But we will have to tell the school by December 15th, whether or not we plan to return.

While we are happy with our current life here in Hong Kong, we really need to keep looking for a school that will pay us really well so that we can get out of our massive amount of school debt, and start saving for retirement, college for the girls, etc. (Of course with the current economic situation my idea of a good savings plan is a shoebox under a bed) So, about four weeks ago I started the brutal, all consuming process, known as the job hunt. I should say we started, since in the international school job scene, Erik and I are seen as a teaching couple. We are a package. However, the reality is because I am so obsessive about this kind of thing, I am the one who ends up doing most of the work, cover letter writting etc.

For us this process involves, submitting our complete life histories along with a $200 check to a placement organization called Search Associates. Then we have access to an AMAZING data base of all the international schools in the world (almost), their current openings, salaries, etc. Currently, there are few openings in our areas, but it is early in the process still. I waste plenty of time everyday fantasizing about living in exotic places like the Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka. So our fingers are crossed, our references on standby, and our resumes current. All that being said, despite the religious fanaticism our current school is a pretty great place to work, the kids are amazing as are most of our colleagues. And Hong Kong is pretty exotic in it's own right. So if nothing comes up, I think we can suffer through another year here. (SMILE)

We will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Noreen said...

I have just stumbled upon your blog and I am LOVING it. It's a really fun read. And, I honestly am amazed at how you and your family make it work as international jet-setters. Here Louis and I are just traveling through the little USA. I am thoroughly impressed you packed up your girls and went to Hong Kong (!) and might be off to even more exotic environs. So, so cool! And, obviously it's hard and goes so fast, but what a treasure.

I am also super impressed that you popped a giant pork roast in the oven!

heatherliv said...

Noreen- I am so glad you found me. I just actually popped into your blog again the same day you typed this. I didn't leave a message as I was in a rush. But this will be a great way to keep in touch...

thanks for the great feedback. someday i'll write about our teeny tiny kitchen and show you a picture of the oven that roast dominated