Friday, October 17, 2008

A new kind of fluff...

I LOVE to read. You could say I am, in fact, a voracious reader. Despite my crazy life ( see Who's Driving Anyway? ), I actually manage to read every night. And not just Click, Clack, Moo or Charlie & Lola, but real grown up books. I am a bit of a literature dork. I have always been head over heels for my lit teachers, Mrs. Nace, Audrey Eyler, etc. The ICS AP English teacher recently, did a devotion ( I will explain this concept in a future post) based on a sonnett by John Dunn, and I almost cried I was so exicted. I felt like the annoying girl in the front row who couldn't stop throwing her hand up in the air. I literally had to PHYSICALLY pin my arm down at my side with my other hand. Lit. Dork.

Anyway...despite my taste for fine literature, my MO as a reader is to alternate one "really good book" with a piece of trash. That's right, this lit dork likes to read trash. Usually this means a crime novel, preferably without a love story. Hard to find, but out there. Sometimes, I cave on the love story part, particularly if loaned a book by my friend Jenny's mom.

Lately, my trash has run toward the juvenile, and by that I mean "adolescent" literature, and unfortunately love features prominently in most of these stories. I figure, that if I am going to get into the minds of these kids, I've got to live in their world once in awhile. Last school year it was the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer. If you have been living under the rock of motherhood, and haven't heard of these books you will soon, the first book "twilight" has been made into a movie featuring oh so lovely Robert Pattinson (also played the ill fated Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter movies). It comes out in the US late Novemeber. Lucky you. At first I told myself I was reading these books to understand my students better. Then it was because most of the story takes place in and around Forks, WA. That's right. Forks. In my admission days at PLU, I actually visited Forks HS, where much of the novel takes place. And then there were the vampires, and the Native American Werewolves. Needless to say, I was hooked.

This school year, with Stephanie Meyer's "breaking dawn" checked off my list I was at a loss after finishing my last non trash bookbook (The Book Thief, if you haven't read this amazing book, read it. I cried so much in the final pages, I literally had to put the book down between paragraphs to regain my composure enough to be able to see to read.). But then, one day, while perusing the new scholastic books my husband Erik had just ordered for his classroom library I discovered the "Uglies" series, by Scott Westerfield. This futuristic series includes four books "Uglies", "Pretties", "Specials", and "Extras", about a society, where everyone is considered ugly until their 16th birthday when they undergo an operation that makes them supermodel pretty. I tore through the first three books, only to discover that Erik didn't order the fourth.

Sigh.

I guess I have to read a non trash book now. Suggestions?

4 comments:

ZestyJenny said...

Dude, are the third and fourth Twilight book not out there yet? Let me know, I can send them with Annelise.

A recent non-trash book I loved was "The Breif Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz. It won the Pullitzer. A grand sweeing family story about a a Dominican family in NYC.

Peaches said...

I sooooo need to be better about making time for reading books! One that my dad has been telling everyone to read is "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle," by David Wroblewski. I think Oprah might have just picked it for her book club, too. He also thought Don DeLillo's book on 9/11 ("Falling Man") was "pretty good," and it might be interesting to you, considering you were there. Both of those are in my stack. But, I pretty much don't read anything but my news magazines & sites these days---political junkie!!!!

heatherliv said...

jenny: The third and fourth are out and read. I read the third last January and was anxiously awaiting the fourth. I had a copy of the fourth on hold for when it came out, and read it over a weekend in August.:) Thanks for the tip on the new book!

heather: ooh, thanks for the book tips! I just joined a book club too so that should help! They had a meeting last night about the last book, and I am anxiously waiting to hear what the choice was.

heatherliv said...

oh jenny, I get it, I always mix up the names of breaking dawn and new moon. sorry.