Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Flat on my back....

The good news is that I am home from work for the next 5 days. The bad news is that it's because I sprained my ankle.

I had decided last year that I wanted to be an assistant coach this year for basketball and softball, in the hopes of feeling confident enough to coach on my own someday soon. Our good friend Dave Dreidger agreed to take me on as his prodigy this year. So not only am I an assitant basketball coach this year, but the team I am coaching is the HS Varsity boys.

Monday was the first day of tryouts. Dave had me doing drills with the senior boys, while he worked with the juniors. Fortunately, they are not that strong of a shooting team, so I was not totally humiliated. I even made several baskets. Besides messing up a few drills, I was feeling pretty good about myself. Really looking forward to the season, enjoying the hard exercise, and layer of sweat I was working up. Thinking about what great shape I would be in when the season ended in March.

Unfortunately, since I haven't played basketball in 15 years, I don't have basketball shoes anymore. I was going to buy some this past weekend, but we were so busy with company that was in town that we didn't get around to it. I figured Monday was just the boys trying out and that I wouldn't have to do much. So I just wore my running shoes, and my ankle paid for it...

Fortunately, it happened during the last drill of the day. I stopped, but my ankle popped, and all of a sudden I couldn't walk on it. I tried to play it off like it was no big deal, but when I got home Erik insisted we go to the hospital. For the whole hospital experience you can check out HKM tomorrow, with flip footage! Long story short, I am home on doctor's orders, trying to mend up enough so that I can go on a school trip to China next week. I don't know if that is going to happen, but we will see.

The upside of all of this was that I got to watch the election results pour in this morning. Go Obama!

5 comments:

ZestyJenny said...

Dude. That SUCKS!

heatherliv said...

jenny- It's funny it has reminded me a little bit of being super pregnant. The difficulty putting on pants, shoes, navigating small spaces! It is also ironic that this happened just after my bad walker post. Payback. Perhaps.

Meg said...

Crap, sorry! I hope it heals quickly and enjoy some down time. :)

Peaches said...

Bummer!! Will you get to resume coaching when it is better? It sounds like fun! Danny has seen LOTS of those injuries in his lunchtime work games--almost every guy that comes out to play in tennis shoes instead of b-ball shoes!

heatherliv said...

Thanks for the well wished Meg and Peaches. I am off the crutches today, but still babying my ankle, and hoping to be back on the court in full force in December.