Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bad walkers

When we came back to Hong Kong after the summer, I made a little pact with myself that this was home now, and part of my settling in and accepting that meant letting go of some of the things about Hong Kong that drive me crazy (the pollution, how grocery shopping takes most of a day and requires at least 3 different stops, crunchy underwear, the 87 degree 95% humidity in OCTOBER, et cetera, et cetera).

HOWEVER...I just don't seem to be able to let go of my frustration regarding all the bad walkers. They are everywhere and it is CRAZY MAKING.

This is a big city, is it not? You would think it would be full of determined city folk all making their way quickly somewhere important. But people here mosey. You'd think we were in Kansas. Not only do they mosey, but they spread. They cover the whole sidewalk with their moseying making it next to impossible to get past with out seeming like a rude guialo who can't pronounce "mngoi" correctly.

It is really weird when you think about it, because in many ways Hong Kongers are so pushy and fast paced. They push their way on the subway or bus or elevator before you are able to exit. They are always trying to get ahead, in school, in work, in the world.

They, they, they....hmmm

Most days I am able to take a deep breath, slow down, and enjoy the stroll. Remind myself, that I am the one that needs to acculturate here, not the other way around. I say a happy prayer. I am thankful for all the things I love about Hong Kong. But not everyday yet. I'm not sure if I'll master the step of accepting this home, before we move on to the next. But in the meantime, I'll remember the things I love about Hong Kong (the amazing new things I see everyday, the old folks who do Tai Chi on the podium of our apartment everymorning, the friends we have, the color everywhere, the view as I walk out of the train station each day, the amazing food, the pushy old people, the beautiful young people, the vibrant markets, THE CITY, the public transportation, our little shopping cart, the drivers of our minibus, the people who work in our apartment building, et cetera, et cetera) and keep trying.

1 comment:

Peaches said...

I was going to comment that people walking like that drive me crazy, since I am a speed walker who likes to get to where I am going, but then I realized I'm a bit more of a mosey-er these days. Danny's elderly folks were here while I was illin' and Danny's leg was hurt, so we all ponderously walked at the same speed around the neighborhood!